Sunday, October 14, 2012

Valverde shells and cheese

9th inning meltdowns seem to be a recurring theme this postseason (it may even be trending on the Twitter).  Since the Tigers already had a 9th inning meltdown versus the Athletics, you would think they would avoid the situation at all costs.  A four run lead in the 9th SHOULD be enough to get you through.  But when Ichiro is hitting a line drive home run, you (I'm talking to you Smokes) should know something is wrong.  It was his first career postseason home run. 

Now usually I make light of Valverde.  I give him a funny nickname and shake off the bad, disappointing thoughts because it's easier that way.  Not today though.  This should be like V for Vendetta.  "Remember, Remember, don't play Valverde past September."  I read Smokes' responses this morning to whether he would continue to keep Valverde as the closer. He, very diplomatically, said that he would talk with the coaching staff and make the decision.  Fine.  Look at things in the light of day.  I can guarantee you that it will look the same it did last night at 11:30 when everything went south.  The Tigers played THEIR game last night, great starting pitching, getting hits from postseason clutch hitters like Young and Peralta, and yet they still had to go extra innings because of ONE player.  That one player no longer deserves to play on the same team as the other guys, not in the same role anyway.  And Dotel assures us that the Tigers still have faith in Valverde.  Well, as Biden would say, that's a bunch of malarkey.  Watching JV's face and Cabby's reaction when he got back to the dugout tells a different story.  What also bothers me is that Valverde went directly into the clubhouse when he was pulled.  He didn't even have the decency to face the teammates he let down.

Valverde says he still wants the ball in the next save situation.  If Smokes gives it to him, I think that pretty much seals his fate as a manager in Detroit.  I'm 100% against booing a member of the Tigers, but I wouldn't blame others for booing Valverde if he gets put in during a save situation.  Smokes is loyal, like a faithful golden retriever, I respect that to a certain point.  We are at that point, Jimmy.

As always, go Tigers.  I wish the win last night felt differently to me, but I hope the team can learn from this and not leave things to chance in extra innings versus the Yankees (or any team for that matter) again.  I hope to return to you in my usual light-hearted manner the next time we meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment