Saturday, October 13, 2012

Real women

News flash: I'm not a Yankees fan.  There's a whole list of reasons, buying championships, disinterested fans during games, uniforms that look like prison outfits (only prisoners and Yankees wear pinstripes!), but the real reason I detest them is their sense of entitlement.  Yankee fans get mad if their team doesn't make the playoffs.  It's actually extremely difficult to get to the playoffs and for many teams it's epic to make it.  I think Baltimore and Oakland fans are with me this year.  No one expected those two teams to make it, and although the Tigers were heavily favored to win the Central this year, it was a battle that lasted until the last week of the season.

I don't blame people from New York for being Yankee fans. Chances are if I grew up in New York, there would be a 70% probability that I'd be a Yankee fan (those are the stats Met fans.  You are the minority even in your own state).  However, what is ridiculous is fans all over the country who hop on the bandwagon so they can support a playoff team most years.  This is the reason that MLB fans are forced to watch the Yankees in prime time at a far greater rate than any other team.

My disdain for the Yankees stretches back years, even to my youth.  Then, in 2004, the Red Sox did the impossible and came back from a three game deficit in the ALCS to beat the Yankees.  I lived next to a Red Sox fan and enjoyed watching an underdog team topple a dynasty.  In fact, the Red Sox owe most of their runs to the "rally laundry hamper."  One step above the 'rally hat' and oh so effect.  That year, the Red Sox had shirts proclaiming "real women don't date Yankee fans."  I liked the sentiment so much that I replicated the phrase but made it Tigress cool.  I've had this shirt since 2005, and feel like it's timeless.
Dougie Fresh is on the mound tonight versus the ancient Andy Pettitte, who is being given a later curfew tonight at his nursing home so he can pitch the game.  Don't worry Shady Pines, we'll knock him out by the 3rd inning and he'll be back in time for lights out at 9:20 PM.

Shout out to JV going the whole game on Thursday too.  You're hardcore, man.

Side note: How crazy are the Cardinals?!  Nothing is more dangerous than a team that can come back late in games.  Here's to hoping there's no 2006 World Series rematch.  No thanks.

Photographic proof that even a laundry hamper can be a rally cap.  Warning: depending on the length of the rally, may cause severe arm cramps.

No comments:

Post a Comment