Sunday, October 7, 2012

Two words: Donnie Kelly

Amazing two days of baseball.  I may not have a voice tomorrow, but some things are worth the price of having no voice.  I'd gladly give my voice for two Tiger wins.  Had to bundle up for Sunday's game.  Good thing I have so many cold weather options.
So fresh and so clean

Today's game was epic.  So many lead changes, so many big plays when they counted.  I thought the Wild Card games were bananas, but so far all the playoff games have been a little crazy.  Here's some highlights:
  • Before every game, the Tigers lineup gets announced.  I cheer for everyone...except Gene Lamont.  I don't cheer for him.  In fact, today I did a little "boo."  Dude in front of me turned around and said "Hey, why are you booing him?"  I said, "Because he's terrible."  Later, in the 9th, when Infante stayed at third when Cabby hit that single (which I thought was appropriate), same Dude turned around and said, "Now I know why you don't like him."  In fact, Lamont is My new Not Tiger since Raburn is DLing.
  • 48 is surprisingly balmy when the sun's out.  I was quite toasty as the game started.  It was probably the layers of Dougie Fresh clothing I was wearing.
  • Before the game, we played two games.  1, let's guess who will freeze.  Spoiler alert: Dude with the shorts won.  2, how many strikeouts would Dougie have?  We guessed five or six, but he was dealing with 8!
  • I'm expecting a "thank you" card from the Tigers.  Sister Tigress and I had rally caps going through the 7th, 8th, and 9th inning!  You're welcome.
The craziest thing about the game though was obviously, Donnie Kelly.  Here's something you may not know about Donnie Kelly, when someone asks Smokes "Who's your Tiger?", his answer is Donnie Kelly.  No surprise when he got put in to pinch run for Delmon "Unhitch the Trailer" Young.  Then, a hit from Infante and Cabby, a walk for Prince in the 9th and who comes up to bat...Donnie Kelly.  Here's the thing about Donnie Kelly, he's not that good.  His average this year is dismal, he's not particularly strong at any one position, but somehow, he made the postseason roster again!  But, when he comes up to bat there's only one choice...to continuously yell "Donnie Kelly", over and over.  Dude in front of me turned around and said "Man you must really like Don Kelly."  Wrong, but when he's in a potential clutch position, he needs to be cheered.  That's the deal.
It's possible that Donnie is trying to out-excite Tigerberry

Tigers are up 2-0 and the Yankees/O's haven't even played a game yet.  One day off, and let's finish off these "Athletics." 

No comments:

Post a Comment