Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The JV effect

Today was my first Tiger game of the year.  I'm not going to recap the game, because I know you watched it.  I was obviously disappointed in the result but there are two things that I noticed at this game.

1. The JV effect- This is the phenomenon that happens when JV is rolling along in the 7th and 8th inning.  People get extremely angry at the prospect of JV being taken out of the game and often yell at Leyland.  Today, some bozos behind us yelled out "Stay in the dugout Smokes!  You heard me Jimmy Smokes!"  While these guys are idiots, I love the sentiments and the nickname.  I also agreed with the man at this point, but in reality, JV can't stay in for 9 innings every game.  He'd be doing himself a disservice because very few other pitchers will do the same.  Knowing me, I'll probably still cheer for him to stay in for a complete game the next time anyway.

The other thing I noticed at the game about JV is that even though he was completely losing it, no one turned against him.  Very few other players (especially on the Tigers) have that effect.  Schlereth comes in and people say "He better not blow this."  BBoesch comes up to bat and people say "He better just not strike out."  JV lets in two runs and...nothing.  People clap as he leaves.  I love it!

2. The new scoreboard- Obviously I saw pictures of the new scoreboard, but it can only really be appreciated in person.  The size is one thing, but I also love some of the features.
Love the instant replay action.  Love the opening sequence with highlights from last year (what song was it to BTW?  Was it "Good Feeling" by Flo Rida?).  Love that it shows where the player hit the ball previously (in the picture below, BBoesch had hit a ground ball to first).  Love the "coming up next" for the fielding team so you know what part of the lineup to expect.  Love the detailed pitch and strikeout count below.  One thing though...where did the big analog clock that used to sit on top go?  That's right kids, analog.  You have to use the little hands to figure out the time.  I miss it.

Also, I understand all the advertisements, but what about the ambulance chaser in the top left?  How did she get on the board?

When is the next game I get to go to?

No comments:

Post a Comment