Friday, April 6, 2012

Is a win always a win?

I didn't watch the game yesterday.  I had my phone on me with the ESPN app open so I could continually check for score updates, but that's not the same.  Then, I was out of cell phone range from the sixth inning on.  So, when I got back into range and turned my phone on, I saw that the Tigers won, 3-2.  Woo!  I did a mini JV fist pump!  Then I checked to make sure JV got the win.  No!  It was Valverde!  I needed to pull up the box score to see what happened.

Runs for the Tigers in the 7th and 8th.  JV pitches 8 innings.  And then big bad Valverde, comes in during the 9th to close us out, and ties the game!  I know being a closer is an impossible job, but COME ON!  He's almost as bad as My all time Not Tiger, Todd Jones.  So here's my proposal Bud, it should be harder for a closer to come into a game and get a win.  In fact, a closer should only get a win if the inning was tied when he comes in and he keeps it tied.  Why?  Because being a closer is about HOLDING the opposing team.  I hope at least Valverde bought JV the next round of Taco Bell, because he cost him a W (which we know from last year, the difference between 24 wins, which no one remembers, and 25 is just one game).  If I had been at the game keeping score (which I do 90% of the time, thanks Aunt Tigress) I would have put the W next to Jackson's name with the assist to Danny Worth.

One more side note, looking through the box score from yesterday, Jim Leyland never ceases to amaze me.  He put in Donny, Danny, and Clete(y).  He just loves to get everyone in the mix!

1 comment:

  1. Old Goat Jim should have let JV finish it up with a complete game on the home opener.

    ReplyDelete