Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Sandlot anniversary

Believe it or not, but this year marks the 20th anniversary of the great American baseball movie, The Sandlot.  The movie has been defining how kids grow up and appreciate baseball for a generation and I'd like to take time to pay tribute to a movie I've seen more times than I can count and quote regularly.  Here are some of my favorite quotes from the movie:

Babe Ruth (or Baby Ruth): Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered but legends never die, follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong. (Classic line from a baseball legend confused as some lady)

Ham: You're killing me Smalls! These are s'more's stuff! Ok, pay attention. First you take the graham, you stick the chocolate on the graham. Then you roast the 'mallow. When the 'mallows flaming... you stick it on the chocolate. Then cover with the other end. Then you scarf. Kind of messy, but good! Try some!  (The first part of this quote is my favorite, but I've often taught people how to make the smore using this exact quote)

Phillips: You bob for apples in the toilet! And you like it!
Ham: You play ball like a girl!!!!!  (classy)

Ham: You know, if my dog was as ugly as you. I'd shave his butt and tell him to walk backwards. (Gotta love the catcher smack talk.  Almost as good as when Crash tips people off in Bull Durham)

Smalls:  Oh yeah, the Great Bambino. Of course! I thought you said the Great Bambi.  (Come on, you've been there.  You have no idea what someone is talking about but you pretend to anyway)

Squints: Come on, Benny. Man. The kid is an L 7 weenie!
Yeah Yeah: Yeah. Yeah. Oscar Meyer even.  footlong, dodger dog, a weenie!
Bennie:  What are you laughing at Yeah Yeah? you run like a duck! (no one wants to be an L 7 weenie, but I'd rather be that then run like a duck)

Smalls: I don't know. Some lady gave it to him. She even signed her name on it. Some lady named... Ruth. Baby Ruth. (You're killing me Smalls!)

Squints: For-ev-ver! For-ev-ver! For-ev-ver! For-ev-ver! (How does one word become so iconic?)

Squints (after kissing Wendy Peffercorn):  Of course I did. been planning it for years.  (He's only 11, how does he plan that for years?)

Did I miss any of your favorites?  Why don't we all ride the Tilt a Whirl this summer and reminisce about one of the greatest baseball movies ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment