Friday, July 20, 2012

Talent scout

Did I mention I love summer?  After a stress-free afternoon of a nap and then a Tigers win (3 out of 4 from the Angels, yes please), I ventured to a Tigers single A affiliate for a night game.  The West Michigan Whitecaps out of Comstock Park are one of the 3 single A affiliates for the Tigers.  Their mascots are some kind of river-swimming rodent and a pig.  Classy.

Not only was I there scouting talent, I was also there to enjoy "Thrifty Thursday" for two dollar pretzels and beers.  Did I mention it was 80s night?  It's a tough job being a scout.

First, the Tigers organization is kind of like a sorority.  There are "legacy" players that are drafted based on their last name.  Now, that's not to say that they aren't talented, but I think the lettering on their jersey has more to do with their spot on the roster.  The Whitecaps have 3, yes 3, legacy players.  Nick Avila, right handed pitcher, Patrick Leyland, catcher, and Colin Kaline, 2nd base who is currently on the DL.  It should also be noted that Rod Allen's son Andrew is also playing for the Tigers in the Rookie Gulf Coast League.
None of these guys played last night though!  I won't read too much into this, but I'm guessing they were intimidated after hearing I was coming to scout.  Understandable.

Since I was at the game on official business, I decided to keep score.  Below is my score card for both teams.  The following details should be noted:
1. It was raining
2. I went to the team store and left Brother-In-Law Tiger in charge for an inning
3. The beers were 2 dollars
4. The beers were Leinenkugel's Amber (thanks Leinenkugels brothers for coming to the game and drastically reducing the price of your beverage)
5. I had Dippin Dots, the ice cream of the future (there's a little ice cream on the book)

Visitor- Peoria Chiefs (Cubs)
One thing is for sure, I was not impressed with the first two batters.  I clearly wrote "Not gonna make it" with three exclamation marks.  Wow.  Easterling dropped an easy fly ball in center (and went 0-3) and DeVoss struck out twice looking.  Not good.  Baez had two hits including a home run, Hoilman is a big dude (6 foot 4 inches), and Geiger hit the ball well.

Home- West Michigan Whitecaps (Tigers)
I cut it out of the picture, but I marked that Holm had intensity (he dove over a side fence for a foul ball, much like Blue Jay's Brett Lawrie).  I also marked that the pitcher (Wilsen Palacios) was quick throwing to home.  If you've read the blog, you know that's a quality that's important to me.  Carlos De Los Santos (who is so new he wasn't even in the program) had a slap bunt that went for a base hit.  The lady behind us had never even seen that before.  Westlake was 3 for 4, King had a triple, and the team overall had a good bull pen.

So, those are the names to look for.  Obviously, Nick Castellanos is the big name out of the Tigers farm system.  He got the MVP in the Futures Game as a part of All Star festivities.  He is with AA Erie right now.

But enough with the future.  This weekend is a huge series versus  the White Sox and the Tigs need to take control of things.  Hits and runs, boys.  Fister and SchEYEzer were ON like Donkey Kong against the Angles and I hope the rest of Tigers pitching stays hot. 

By the by, I don't get the trade talks for another starting pitcher.  What happened to needing a 2nd baseman?  We have four solid starters and once Smyly is healthy, I have confidence that he will be another OK starter.  2nd base Dave, 2nd base!

No comments:

Post a Comment