Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A homily from the father

I am Father Tiger (soon to be Grandpa Tiger).  I would first like to say that I am honored to be able share my thoughts with you. 
I have been a long time Tiger fan.  I have fond memories from 1968 and the many great players from that team Al Kaline (my favorite player), Norm Cash (cousin Dale's favorite player), Willie Horton, Mickey Lolich, Denny McClain, Don Wert, Bill Freehan, Gates Brown, Dick McAuliffe, Earl Wilson, Mickey Stanley, Jim Northrup, etc.  1984 was another magical season and they had a great team (Kirk Gibson, Lance Parish, Jack Morris, Dan Petry, Alan Trammel, Lou Whitaker, etc.).  I enjoyed listening to Ernie Harwell on the radio although I didn't appreciate him as much as I should have until he retired. 
There have been some tough stretches (they had losing records for 12 straight years from 1994 through 2005), including the 2003 season with 119 losses.  I remained a Tiger fan during that time, hoping that this was the year that they would turn it around.  To all of you Tiger fans, I say enjoy the success they are having and let's hope that they win it all this year.
I am not sure what I have done to have 3 kids that are die-hard Tiger fans: the Tigress  (she announced her "bun in the oven" by giving us Grandpa Tiger and Grandma Tigress shirts), Sister Tigress (she will be going to her 14th game this season tomorrow), Brother Tiger (he has been interviewed by local TV stations twice this year, at opening day and game 4 of ALDS) but I'll take a little credit (Aunt Tigress gets most of it). 
So, sit back and enjoy the ride.  Go Tigers!



He makes a good point, people.  This doesn't happen every year so enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment