Saturday, November 3, 2012

Dream Job: Special assistant to Dave Dombrowski

A true baseball fan will do anything to stay connected to the game.  A fly ball at the game, fantasy camp, a special birthday card from Paws, the list goes on.  There are several jobs in baseball that I consider "Dream Jobs."  The qualifications of a dream job?  The ability to stay connected to the game, affect the team, and live out every child's fantasy of hanging out with major league players. 

The first dream job?  Special assistant to Dave Dombrowski.  True, it would be slightly cooler if it was Assistant Dave Dombrowski, but it's basically semantics at this point.  The man who currently holds this position is Al Kaline (Willie Horton does too, but I think we know he is outranked).  I doubt there is any real job description on file, but here's what I can gather he does from going to games and watching him on TV:

Sit in the owner's suite with unlimited access to popcorn

Pose for pictures on the field

Hangout with current players, especially after they win championships.  In fact, owning goggles is a must.

Hangout with past players and take them around the stadium when they come to visit

Go to Lakeland every year for some fun in the sun, whoops, I mean Spring Training

Throw out the occasional first pitch

I mean, what's not to love?  Unfortunately, I think only past Tiger heroes get the position of "special assistant" but that doesn't stop me from applying every year.  One year Dave will see the value of the Tigress' ability to specially assist.

No comments:

Post a Comment