Monday, March 31, 2014

Opening Day

I feel like I've been out of the game so long that this opening day sneaked up on me.  I had a dream last night that I was watching the game and didn't know half of the players.  This was very distressing.  With all the injuries lately and last minute moves, my head is in such a tizzy.  To make up for it, here are some of my thoughts from the game.  I'll feel more connected, you'll be informed, and all will be right with the world.

Cheer assessment: Biggest cheers for Cabby, Verlander, Scherzer, and Ausmus.  Surprisingly loud cheer for Gene Lamont (people must have acquired amnesia over the winter).  Loudest cheer of all?  Donnie Kelly.  That just proves that in Detroit, starting is overrated.  I think #DonnieKelly was trending on Twitter.

I'm digging the high socks that Kinsler is wearing.  Interesting choice to have him bat first.  Let's see how this plays out.  Leyland was so set in having Jackson start things off, but I like that Ausmus is mixing things up and putting his own stamp on things.  Lineups are meant to be fluid and adapted as the season goes on and players go through droughts and streaks.  Rod assures me that Torii will move in the lineup, which means others will move too.

First "I see you" of the year?  Vmart.  So glad to have him in the lineup and healthy.  He changed his middle name over the winter to Clutch after a great season last year (especially given his slow start).

Verlander's face must have been cold down in Florida because he grew a little scruff for opening day.  He always seems to have the roughest time in April so it's good he gets out there and gets his licks in.  Personally, I think this was Scherzer's opening day to start, but my application for Tiger manager was not picked over the winter.  I really bombed the interview when I showed up in my Zubaz pants.

Alex Gonzalez is sporting the chin strap over at shortstop.  He must have watched a little too much tape of Jhonny from last year.  Just stay away from the PEDs, Alex.

Very strange to see Joe Nathan in a Tiger uniform.  After so many years playing against him, I just hope he's as stellar as he was when he was playing against us.

A win on opening day is great.  A walk off win on opening day is wonderful.  Love the contributions from the players in the bottom of the lineup.  Castellanos and Gonzalez were a little jittery in the field, but they pulled through with the bats when needed.  Very glad that this game did not have to go to extra innings.  That's not the way to start the season.

Game one down.  Only 160 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment