Thursday, May 22, 2014

Bitter Twitter

Lately something has come to my attention that I just can't ignore.  It has a little to do with the Tigers' road trip but a lot more to do with humanity itself.  Self indulgence, thy name is Twitter.

I joined Twitter last July for one main purpose, to comment on the Tigers in real time in a hopefully light-hearted and humorous way.  I see Twitter for what it should be, a place where people can go to have a chuckle and feel vindicated in their shared interests and opinions.  For the most part, those are the types of people I follow and the tweets I write.  However, a large number of social media junkies see Twitter as a place to be down right cruel in an anonymous fashion.  It's much easier to be mean, petty, and critical of others when they can't see your face.  For years I was a Girls on the Run coach and we teach the girls about this sort of thing.  They can spot it a mile away.  It's called Cyber Bullying.  Just because you don't personally know someone doesn't mean you aren't cyber bullying them.

When the Tigers swept in Baltimore and Boston, Twitter was all fun and games for the Tigers.  There were Zubaz pictures and triumphant tweets about conquering playoff foes.  Twitter was serving its purpose.  We got to see hilarious pictures of our favorite players and get a glimpse into their everyday life as ball players.  However, the games were over once the Tigers hit Cleveland.  Obviously, it was a disappointing series topped off by THE WORST way to end a game with a bases loaded balk.  I have to say I wrote an angry tweet myself:
And that's how not to end a road trip

I tried to make light of the situation by adding the joke about Donnie Kelly pitching.  I may have even made a joke about Gene Lamont earlier in the game (sorry Gene if I was mean.  I promise it's in good fun).  Tigers fans took the loss as an opportunity to again question every move made by Ausmus and for some reason rag on the Tigers announcers, Mario and Rod.  What those two had to do with the Tiger loss, I just don't know.  Even if it eased the pain for some fans, I feel like it's just uncalled for.  For some reason, Mario retweets some of their nastiness.  I don't understand that.

Sure, we are all a little frustrated with Phil Coke and the Tigers bullpen.  Trust me, they don't need to hear it to know they messed up.  They already know.  My advice to Phil is to avoid social media today or maybe all week.

So in the spirit of New Girl, I'm starting a new segment called Honey Roast.  If you aren't familiar, a honey roast is when you say nice, true things about someone.  I'd like to start with the outfielders today.

Rajai Davis- You are one fast dude and have rejuvenated the Tigers' running game.  You have 14 stolen bases for Pete's sake.  You also take base path fashion to new levels of awesome with your oven mitt to protect your hand.  You are a valuable addition to the Tigers.

Austin Jackson- Your hard work at the plate has paid off since your rookie season.  You are striking out less and have become a hitter that pitchers don't like facing.  Your acrobatics in the outfield are also hard to beat.

Torii Hunter- You are a leader when it matters and the Tigers desperately needed that.  You are consistently trying to have a good time and it makes you enjoyable to watch.

JD Martinez- You hit a home run in a pinch hit situation!  Not a lot of players can claim that.

Come back again for another round of Honey Roast.  Remember this, the internet and social media specifically are places to connect with other people, not an avenue for your bitterness.  Enjoy your long weekend and all the wonderful Tiger baseball we have to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment